Thank you for your interest in volunteering with our youth and vulnerable adults at Restoring Hope Ministries.
As we strive to create a safe environment for all of our clients, and in accordance with our protection policy, we must ensure that those who are volunteering have a clean police record.
Renewal of police checks is required every three years.
To try to help with make this process as easy as possible for you, we’ve assembled an outline of the process for obtaining your police check. You can do it entirely from home – in most cases, there is no need to go to a police station! (Though if you prefer, a police check can be obtained in person.) The procedure below deals with the online process, since this will likely be the least time consuming and cause the least amount of inconvenience for you.
The Ottawa Police Services will now be charging a small fee when applying for a Police Check, even when accompanied by the letter from Restoring Hope Ministries.
When you receive your completed check from Ottawa Police Services, please hand in a paper copy to a Working Supervisor or forward a PDF of the completed and approved police report to firstname.lastname@example.org so we know the process is complete and can submit it for inclusion in our record tracking.
Each volunteer over the age 18 who works with minors in their role must obtain a Level III Vulnerable Sector Check. This Police Check should typically be obtained from Ottawa Police Services.
Before starting this application process, you will need to have the following information on hand:
- Your date and place of birth (the city you were born in seems to be sufficient)
- Your addresses from all the places you have lived over the past 5 years
- Your social insurance number
- Information about your credit history. The questions asked about your credit history are to establish you are who you claim to be. The specific questions will vary by the person, but they will often be asking about what financial institution you might have a mortgage or bank account with, etc. The questions are multiple choice, and sometime “none of the above” is an available and appropriate answer.
- Near the end of the application process, you will need to upload a copy of the PDF of the Restoring Hope Ministries police check request letter. It’s probably a good idea to download that first before starting the application.
- Go to https://olbc.ottawapolice.ca
- Click “Create an account”. Go through the account creation process. They will send you a verification number to your email address. You will need this number in order to be able to log into your new account the first time.
- Log into your new account and provide the verification number.
- Select “New Application” (at the upper right).
- Select “Level III Vulnerable Sector Check”.
- Closely follow instructions as a guide through the application process. You will upload the PDF of the Restoring Hope Ministries letter near the end of the process.